(Original title: Samsung, Oppo, Vivo halt smartphone production in India)
Netease Technology News March 23, according to foreign media reports, with the spread of the new coronavirus epidemic, the Indian government recently issued a ban, prompting Samsung, OPPO and vivo and other mobile phone manufacturers to suspend production in Indian factories.
“Based on discussions with Indian government officials, the factories will be closed until March 25, and both OPPO and vivo will take further precautionary measures,” the phone makers said, according to people familiar with the matter. Vivo has started mandating non-factory workers from Monday. Work from home to help stop the spread of the virus.
Meanwhile, a Samsung spokesperson said their production in India has been suspended until further notice. However, some important services, such as customer service, will remain operational with limited staffing.
The spokesperson also said: “At Samsung, health and safety is the highest priority. To ensure the safety of our employees and their families, and in accordance with the government’s instructions, we have now decided to suspend manufacturing operations and request that our India Sales, marketing and R&D staff work from home.
However, telecommunications equipment makers Ericsson and Nokia will continue to produce at their factories in Pune and Chennai. Ericsson’s plant in Pune will work in accordance with the principle of maintaining a safe distance, that is, only 50% of employees will be asked to continue to work. The company has said that its factories have received approval from the relevant agencies for an exemption from the ban.
Last week, Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked people to work indoors as much as possible, while stressing the dangers of the novel coronavirus, saying the world had never been in a crisis of this magnitude. He also called on all agencies to continue to pay employees under the current circumstances. (small)